About Paul Y. M. Leung
Paul Leung is the managing partner and the principal client liaison of C&L.
His practice is focused primarily on providing strategic advice on corporate, commercial and real estate matters, including corporate governance and reorganizations; real estate acquisitions, dispositions, development, structuring, leasing and financing. In addition, he advises, on a strategic level, personal and commercial parties on complex litigation matters involving multiple parties and jurisdictions. Paul also advises a number of local non-profit organizations and personal legal matters on a pro-bono basis.
His recent experience includes the following transactions by practice area:
- acting as designated counsel for financial institutions on commercial lending matters, including a number of the largest banks in Canada;
- acting as lead counsel in a private lending secured transaction of $200 million in 2018 for real estate development;
- acting for borrowers in acquisition, take-out and construction financing; and,
- acting for commercial and private lenders in complex lending transactions.
- acting as lead counsel in the land assembly of a number of projects in 2017-2018 valued at over $300 million;
- acting as lead counsel for over 20 real estate development projects in 2017-2018 in the Lower Mainland, including townhouses, high rise condominiums (including phase, mixed-use, airspace parcels), commercial strata units;
- acting for purchasers and vendors of development sites, including land assemblies; and
- acting for landlords and tenants of office towers, shopping malls and high rise condominiums in negotiations of commercial leases and resolution of commercial tenancy matters.
Paul was born in Brunei and raised in Hong Kong. He immigrated to Canada in 1972. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts (Criminology) from Carleton University in 1983 and graduated from the University of Calgary Law School in 1986. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 1987. Paul is fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.